HOME FREE MOVING ESTIMATES!
Moving and packing advice from the experts
Moving doesn’t have to be a hassle. Our goal as one of the most preferred moving companies in Alexandria, VA is to make the moving process stress-free for you. Here are some tips that we’ve assembled to help you with planning your move:
- Make a reservation for movers three or four weeks before your move day.
- Check owner’s manuals for large appliances to see if there are special instructions for moving them.
- Keep in mind that a moving company can’t transport ammunition, explosives or flammable materials such as gasoline and bottled gases.
- Pack a box of essential items that you will need immediately after the move and make sure it’s the last thing loaded onto the truck.
- Confirm cancellation dates of utility services a week before your move day.
- Mail in your change of address forms at least two weeks ahead of time.
- Clean your stove and defrost the fridge the day before you move out.
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box.
- Pack heavy items in small boxes and lighter items in larger boxes. Remember the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
- Pack important documents separately from other belongings.
- Label all boxes on their top and sides.
- Start packing items you will not need ahead of time.
- Pack and unpack breakables over a padded surface.
- Plates should be packed on end vertically, rather than placed flat and stacked.
- Remove light bulbs before packing your lamps.
Or you can choose to leave the packing to the professionals, and sit back and relax while JV Movers takes care of everything for you!